Thursday, January 7, 2010

Day 40 - It's a Blizzard out there!

The snowstorm and wind continued all night, closing Interstate 90 across the entire state of South Dakota, and causing all roads leading out of my town to be posted as "travel not advised due to large snow drifts." Again, it was wait and see: is school cancelled at my assigned school? (Note: since all the roads were impassable in my area, there really wasn't a way for me to commute the 65 miles so I guess whatever the answer, it was moot for me!! haha). 7:05 a.m....school cancelled. Another day of staying warm and occupied while the storm moved on, and the temperature dropped. I spent my day beading, and amazing myself with what I can do with beads!

Of course this blog, however, is about food. So, what has my menu brought for today?

With the bitter cold snowy morning, I had hot 5-grain oatmeal/hot cereal with nuts and dried fruit for breakfast. I shall chose to call it porridge, so that it will fit the theme of soup. Lunch was a marvelous Cauliflower Curry, made my friend Maria. (She will have to reveal the recipe - which seemed to be cauliflower and onions simmered in milk and cream) [she now reveals it was coconut milk!!]. A snack of sweet rice (possibly not the best for my diet) really hit the spot mid afternoon - with added currents, rasins and dried cherries. My dinner entre' tonight was Swiss Steak - ala the Joy of Cooking. (Not exactly soup...but, well, close). I ate an itsy-bitsy portion on a salad plate! (I'm teaching myself that this is okay...a kid's portion is enough!!).

******************************
Swiss Steak - ala The Joy of Cooking with a few tweaks

Round steak
2 onions diced chunky
2 carrots diced into small pieces
2 cans diced tomatos
1 cup of beef broth
flour
salt & pepper
garlic powder
paparika
olive oil

Take the round steak and season it with salt & pepper, garlic powder, & paparika. Sprinkle flour over it and then take either a meat tenderizing hammer or a sharp knife and pound the steak. After doing one side, do the same to the other side. Repeat, only adding more flour. Cut the steak into 3 or 4 inch chunks.

Heat oil in a skillet. Brown the pieces of steak to seal in the juices. Set aside.

Take a medium sized kettle (dutch oven) and put the diced chunky onion pieces into the bottom. Place the round steak chunks on top of the onions. Spread the diced carrots over the meat, and then open and pour the contents of the 2 cans of diced tomatoes over this mixture. Add the cut of broth, plus a little water. (One or 2 bay leaves could also be added for flavor). Cover.

Bake at 350 degrees F for 2 hours. Serve with mashed potatoes.

***********************************

No comments:

Post a Comment